Google is known to try its hand at everything and here we are with one of its new products. A Domain Registration Service.
Google Domains is what it is called and you can check it out at domains.google.com. This is currently in the beta phase and will be serving on an invite-only basis. This could be a real competitor to the existing and established services like GoDaddy.
Google always offers quality products at a reasonable price and this domain service no different. You can register a domain on Google Domains for $12/year. This is almost the same price what GoDaddy offers. I think GoDaddy will have lot of worries if this turns out well for Google.
Google Domains will offer the following features:
- Private Registration for free: Google will not charge you those extra bucks to keep your information from appearing on the public whois look-ups. Some of the domain registrars charge extra for private registration.
- Branded Emails: You can create up to 100 email accounts for your company or you online business. This is essential to look professional by having that you@your_company.com email id instead of just email@example.com
- Domain Forwarding: You can also use this service to point the newly purchased domains to the existing ones without much hassle.
- Customizable sub-domains: You can create up to 100 sub-domains to host your different services like shopping cart or even to host your company blog.
- 10 million DNS resolutions: Google’s DNS servers are one of the best and you get 10 million lookups bundled with the standard plan. For websites having more than 10 million lookups, there might be extra add-ons available to increase that limit.
- Domain Management Tools: You get a whole set of tools to configure your A, AAAA, CNAME and other records with ease. We can expect to have a great UI.
- Website Builders: You can opt for the website building tools at an additional cost. This will also include a secure and reliable hosting service. Google has tied up with site-building platforms like Shopify, Squarespace, Weebly and Wix to provide you with great templates and tools needed to create professional looking websites.
- Generic TLDs: You can register for generic top-level-domains like .photography and .guru which will be rolling out next month. They are also trying to add more generic TLDs to fit your business and personal needs.
- Support: A great service without support would be incomplete. So, Google has added phone and email support (Mon-Fri, 9am to 9pm EST) to solve your issues and doubts.
One a personal note, I really think this will take off and other domain registrars will suffer. What makes it better than others is that it is offering great quality service at the same price.
I am betting people will want to be on that invite list and be the first few to register their domains on Google Domains. I also see a future feature Google Domains could include – Indexing domains once they are bought.